Eagle-eyed followers might have noticed that my LinkedIn profile and e-mail signatures changed recently. I have the honor of serving as the Association of Corporate Counsel’s Employment & Labor Law Network (ELLN) for the 2019-20 year!
The Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) is a global bar association that promotes the interests of in-house counsel. ACC member attorneys work for corporations, associations, and other organizations and anyone engaged in the active practice of law and employed by organizations in either the private or public sector (and do not have or work for institutions with regulatory, enforcement or policymaking responsibilities) can join! The cost is minimal, particularly compared to the opportunities! Law firm attorneys and others who hold themselves out to the public for the practice of law are not eligible for ACC membership. ELLN is an active global network within ACC of over 6,700 in-house legal counsel from every industry and every level of expertise and experience.
If you are an in-house counsel, and you are not an ACC member or an ELLN member (or even if you are and you haven’t joined us recently), we would love for you to attend our monthly teleconference and join our active community.Join ACC here: https://www.acc.com/membership/become-a-member
This post is an open invite to in house counsel who are not already attending our ELLN monthly meetings to join us! Our generous network sponsor, Jackson Lewis, will be presenting a brief “legal quick hit” on practical employment law takeaways from 2019 that you can apply to your workplace, this year and beyond! Each of our subject matter area committees will present a short report, too.
If you haven’t joined our calls recently, or have never heard of ACC or ELLN, now is a great opportunity to check us out. Contact me directly and I can talk to you about how to get involved and how to join us for these informative calls. Each month before our meeting, I will post our agenda here and elsewhere in social media as encouragement to join our merry bunch (generally) on the first Wednesday each month at 3 p.m. Eastern time.
ASSOCIATION OF CORPORATE COUNSEL EMPLOYMENT
& LABOR LAW NETWORK (ELLN) MONTHLY
Wednesday, December 4, 2019
(3:00 – 4:00 pm Eastern Time)
- Opening Business
- Welcome and Thank You!
- Approval of minutes from the previous monthly meeting on October 2, 2019.
- October 2019 Engagement Statistics
- ELLN Member Recognitions
- New Members – December 2019
- Member Anniversaries
- Announcements and ACC Staff Report
- Sponsor Report
- Jackson Lewis Corporate Counsel Conference, Beverly Hills, CA March 4-6, 2020. See https://www.jacksonlewis.com/event/ccc2020
- Presented by Jackson Lewis P.C.
Presenter: Amanda Simpson, Associate, Jackson Lewis, Orlando
Our gift to you: Practical employment law takeaways from 2019 that you can apply to your workplace – this year and beyond!
Workplaces are constantly attempting to stay apprised and avoid the new wave of employment claims the plaintiffs’ bar musters up. Once employers have ensured that safeguards are in place to avoid exposure in one area, a new cause of action is already on the horizon. These trends are most visible in class and collective actions as they involve increased exposure and, in turn, generate greater fees and costs for plaintiffs’ attorneys. This quick hit will review several trending claims and discuss how companies can avoid pitfalls that would make them susceptible to becoming a headline in 2020, including:
· The rise of Fair Credit Report Act (FCRA) class actions (and what to do if you’re hit with one!);
· Coal in Your Stocking? How Gift Cards Can “Gift” Your Company a New ADA Claim;
· The Explosion of Biometric and Privacy Claims; and
· An Oldie but Goodie: Wage and Hour Collective Action Reminders.
- Subcommittee Reports
- A success in your professional or personal life (or that of another subcommittee leader, colleague, or friend) to share with the group
- At least 1 outreach that members of the Subcommittee completed this past month to a contact who is not active in ELLN (and maybe not even a member of ELLN)
- Pro Bono Update
- “Ask ELLN”/Forum Spotlight
- Other Old/New Business – New Member Comments/Items from the Floor
- Next Teleconference – Wednesday, January 8, 2020, 3:00 p.m. (Eastern Time)
- One week later than normal!